Voluntary Acknowledgement of Paternity
Our Vital Records Office also handles Voluntary Acknowledgement of Paternity.
- The purpose of this service is to add a father’s name to a child’s birth certificate.
- If the mother and father were not married at the time of the child's birth, the father's name does not automatically go on the birth certificate.
- If both parents want the father's name to be on the birth certificate, they can call our office (615-898-7880) to set up a VAoP appointment.
- If either parent is less than 18 years of age, their parent or guardian must sign our documents as well.
We will ask some key questions before we make the appointment to verify if you are eligible for the VAoP:
- Was the baby born in Tennessee?
- Is the mother married or has she been married in the past 300 days of the child's birth?
- Do both parents want to do this? If not, please contact Child Support Services.
- Do you have the necessary documents needed for your case?
Voluntary Acknowledgement of Paternity - Parent Worksheet
Voluntary Acknowledgement of Paternity - $5 per copy, plus cost of new birth certificate ($15 per copy), total cost= $20**
**Please note: If a child's last name is changed during this process, it is recommended to pay for a new birth certificate for the child after the VAoP process is complete in order to show proof of a child's name change. This is an additional $15 fee. If the child's name is changed, it will be reflected on the new birth certificate.
We do not do DNA testing here. Please call 1-800-613-5768 or visit https://dnacenter.com/ for state approved DNA testing information. DNA testing kits from pharmacies may not be state approved.
For any more questions or to make an appointment regarding paternity establishment in Rutherford County, please contact us at 615-898-7880.
For more information and helpful brochures, please visit: